Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sneaky Mommy/Wife

I received a couple of gift cards to Barnes and Noble from some of my students at the the end of the year. One of the books I bought is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife). In it are recipes for sneaking in veggies to all kinds of recipes. Yes, even dessert!

So far we have tried chicken nuggets with broccoli hidden in the coating, meatball soup with carrots and butternut squash, Applesauce muffins with carrots, and scrambled eggs with cauliflower (my favorite). Now, most people have issues with their children eating their veggies, but I have a more difficult time getting my husband to eat his veggies. He has eaten everything and even liked it!

One of the tricks is to mix in butternut squash with boxed mac n' cheese. The first time I made it for Will I told him when he had finished that I snuck a surprise inside- Veggies! He thought that was pretty clever and now asks if he can have "mac n' cheese with a surprise".

Even if you like your veggies, it's a great way to give everyday foods a boost of nutrients. I may even try coming up with some creative ways of sneaking veggies into some of the usual meals I cook.

1 comment:

  1. Yum--that all sounds really good! I've heard of that book. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete